How to Maintain and Improve your Search Engine Rankings during a Website RedesignWhen it’s time to redesign your website, it’s also a great time to revisit your SEO strategy. Why?
- To Maintain your existing rankings during the transition.
- To build upon and improve your rankings with the new website
Maintain SEO Rankings During a Redesign
When you redesign a website, it’s helpful to run an audit on the website to ensure you are not carrying over any problematic issues to the new website that could hinder your search rankings. For example:
- Avoid importing duplicate content
- Avoid importing spammy Titles, Meta Descriptions, or Meta Keywords
- Avoid importing overly large images
Further, it’s a great time to determine what is working and what isn’t and plan the new site around how you can improve.
Improve SEO Rankings During a RedesignIf your existing website isn’t driving traffic to the important pages and you are not ranking for your important industry keywords, a redesign is the perfect opportunity to restructure your website.
During the redesign planning phase:
- Build the new site architecture around important keywords, establishing and SEO-friendly hierarchy to develop optimized landing pages.
- Establish a logical naming convention for URLs to incorporate keywords and ensure a clean URL structure.
- Establish a naming convention for Title tags to ensure they are strategic and non-duplicated. If the existing Title tags and Meta Descriptions are high quality, carry them over to the new site.
- Ensure 301 redirects are established on a 1:1 basis as close as possible. This will maintain rankings for old URLs and pass it on to the new URL.
- Check Google Search Console post-launch to clean up any crawl errors from old URLs missed in the 301 redirects.
For more information about Pre-Launch and Post-Launch SEO Audits, check out this helpful article from Search Engine Land: Relaunching your website? Don’t forget an SEO audit!