Few people actually step into a physical store to judge the quality of a sofa or feel the texture of a rug. Instead, they read online reviews, zoom in on details, and use augmented reality tools to see how new furniture would fit in their actual home. They also make their purchase in-between bites of lunch.
You don’t have to be an expert to understand that any shift in consumer behavior needs to be mirrored by a change in marketing approach. Especially when the stakes are as high as in this industry. Recent research shows that retail e-commerce revenue from furniture and homeware sales are projected to increase to over 61.2 billion U.S. dollars in 2025, almost 1 billion more than in 2020.
If you’re a furniture business owner in this space looking for creative and effective ways to get a slice of this profitable pie, digital marketing might hold the answer. We’ve gathered 5 digital best practices to help you drive online sales this year and beyond:
1. Design a Brand Experience
There are numerous ways users could potentially interact with your brand:
- They might first see your social media ad before arriving at a product landing page.
- They could discover your site via search engines and scroll through multiple pages only to decide they need more details and turn to the chatbox function.
- They could click on a link from a different site that sends them to one of your promotions.
No matter what digital channel you’re using to reach and interact with prospects, make sure to deliver a perfectly orchestrated and consistent experience. Some simple ways to do that include:
- Using imagery and voice that reflects your brand identity all across digital channels.
- Creating a powerful slogan that clearly highlights your mission.
- Engaging buyers on an emotional level. Rather than selling them furniture, try sharing a lifestyle with your audience - whether it’s through a fresh, modern look that says “this furniture is for dynamic, always on-the-go people” or a classic vibe that speaks to a laissez-faire attitude.
2. Invest in Content Marketing
Master the art of crafting online content your customers are moved by, and you’ve won your place at the e-commerce winners table. Everything you create is a chance to promote your products and build trust with your customers, so offer them a variety of media to choose from.
Some of the most popular furniture retailers had great success using:
- Videos - bedroom makeovers, assembling demos, behind-the-scenes, etc.
- Social media - Pinterest boards, Facebook and Instagram contests.
- Innovative technology - augmented reality tools that allow users to virtually try out their furniture in the comfort of their homes.
- Expert blogs - offering readers the chance to learn from lifestyle and design experts.
- User-generated content (UGC) - creating a community photo-sharing platform meant to help customers inspire and learn from each other.
Take the time to know your audience and build content that naturally fits with their day-to-day life. Not only will you avoid coming across as too intrusive, but you’ll also hook people long before they become your customers.
3. Complement Online Marketing with In-Store Experiences
Allow prospects to access printable coupons on your site that are redeemable in-store. Promote brick-and-mortar sales on your social media channels. Employ SMS remarketing and send users discounts straight to their phones.
Entertainment can also get more customers through your door. People are far more inclined to make a purchase if they attend an event or workshop at your store. Harness the power of local publications to increase attendance and you’ll discover that selling is easier when there’s laughing and learning involved.
4. Optimize Your Website for Local Searches
This goes hand in hand with the previous best practice. Most people find out about a business through online research, not by stumbling onto a physical location. Even if they hear about you via word-of-mouth, they will still look up your store online before visiting in person.
To optimize your website for local searches, you can:
- Get featured in local directories.
- Partner with local bloggers and influencers that can spread the word about your business.
- Create a Google My Business profile with an up-to-date name, phone number, and address. Include photos of the inside and outside of your store.
- Encourage customers to leave a review on your Google listing.
5. Leverage Convenience
An outstanding user experience is all about making it easier for people to buy from you, whether online or in person. There are plenty of budget-friendly tactics that you can take advantage of. Here are just a handful:
- Allow users to buy online and pick up in-store. Customers love saving on shipping and once they’re there, they might decide to make an impulse buy.
- Make use of Google Shopping Campaigns (previously named Google Product Listing Ads), that allow shoppers to review inventory online before heading to a store.
- Provide store hours and directions on your website.
- Offer curbside pickup when possible (some items might be too large for this option).
- Enable more self-service options on your site such as FAQs, getting started kits, video tutorials, well-designed support forums, and live chat.
- Create a frictionless checkout process. One way to do this would be to include integration with mobile wallets.
- Offer multiple payment options.
- Provide customers with a short trial period before they buy.
- Open more communication channels: email, toll-free number, social media chats, etc.
You don’t have to implement all these strategies at once to see results. Use what’s available to you and get feedback from your prospects to get started!
At Americaneagle.com, we understand that claiming your place within the digital space can be hard to accomplish on your own. Our digital marketing services are designed to ease your load and equip you with the right tools to increase furniture sales.
We have a team of creative marketers, content makers, scientists, and technologists excited to take your business to the next level. Are you ready? Contact us today and let’s explore what’s possible for you.