Google recently announced a new upcoming algorithm change, known as the Google Page Experience Update.
With this update, elements of user experience (UX) will become more important in determining how well your site ranks on Google search engine results pages.
What is the New Google Page Experience Update?
If Google determines that your website offers a poor user experience, your web pages may not rank as highly as they once did, after the new Google Page Experience update is released.
Factors that Google will take into consideration to determine page experience will include the following:
- How quickly pages load
- Mobile usability
- How long first input delay is, to measure interactivity
- Whether your website uses HTTPS
- Whether the page is free of intrusive ads.
- Whether the page is safe for users to browse (free of malware and deceptive content)
- Whether content remains stable as the page loads.
Many of the factors that will be used to determine page experience were already highlighted in previous Google algorithm updates, and some are included in Google’s Core Web Vitals.
If you haven’t yet optimized for mobile, moved to HTTPS, or have a site that is still slow to load, now is the time to work on these items, as they continue to increase in importance, not only in terms of SEO but in terms of usability.
How to Prepare Your Website for the Google Page Experience Update
The new Google Page Experience algorithm update will be introduced in 2021. This gives you plenty of time to start preparing your website for the algorithm change.
The good news is that Google has given us insight into the factors that they consider important to page experience, and therefore how page experience will be judged. This makes it easier for you to take a look at your site, and see how it performs in relation to these criteria. The items under Core Web Vitals even include numbers to measure your site's performance against.
Should I Invest in Improving Page Experience?
Investment in user experience offers countless potential benefits. As is true of factors highlighted in many Google algorithm updates, there is value to improving user experience, beyond that of SEO. Improved user experience can also reduce bounce rate and increase conversion. Providing a good user experience can go a long way in encouraging new and existing customers to return to your site and do business with you. As shopping online for products and services has become increasingly common, users have come to expect websites to load quickly, be free of intrusive ads, and provide an all-round excellent user experience. If you have the budget to invest in your website, improving user experience is a great way to go.
How to Improve User Experience
Luckily, there are plenty of options available to get started with improving user experience. You may wish to focus solely on the factors relating to the Google Page Experience update or take a deeper dive into improving user experience on your site.
If you’re interested in holistically improving user experience, then no matter how simplified or advanced your site may be, there will be room for improvement. It is possible to use data-driven methods to learn how to improve your site.
- A/B testing can help you try out new ideas to determine whether changes to your site are beneficial or improve user experience.
- A UX audit is an audit of the current user experience on your site, with recommendations on how and what to improve.
- If your site needs an overhaul, a full site redesign is a great way to help your site reach its full potential.
- If your main concern is Google rankings and driving traffic to your site, user experience updates can be made alongside SEO services.
- Despite Google’s emphasis on user experience, Google maintains that “A good page experience doesn’t override having great, relevant content”. Content remains key, so if your content isn’t up to par, consider investing in content services.
With plenty of notice from Google, you have a great opportunity to begin planning ahead for the Google Page Experience algorithm update. Whether your site is in need of specific improvements to prepare for the update, a full redesign, a user experience (UX) audit, content, or SEO services, Americaneagle.com is here to help. Read more about past Google Algorithm updates here.